The thing I love about the Mediterranean diet, is that it encourages people to eat a wide variety of foods that have many health benefits. Check out the benefits of including beans in your diet, and try the recipe of the month below to get some of this healthful food!
1. Helps lower blood sugar. According to a research study in the Archives of Internal Medicine, 2012, one cup of beans daily for 3 months was able to lower blood sugar and blood pressure from their original levels.
2. Soluble fiber lowers cholesterol.
3. Supports weight loss because beans use more calories to digest than other calorie sources.
4. Reduces appetite by increasing leptin, a hormone released by fat cells that decreases appetite and boosts metabolism.
5. Contain high amounts of nutrients such as B vitamins, Calcium, Potassium, and Folic Acid.
6. May help prevent cancers such as pancreatic, colon, breast, and prostate due to their high content of lignins and phytates.
What do you think? Do you find it difficult or easy to include beans in your balanced diet?